These days, ceramic knives have become the top choice for many households. These are not just elegant as they come in different colors and shades, but they are also harder than stainless steel knives as they never corrode or rust, and can resist acute caustic and acidic items.
If you are looking for a set of beautiful ceramic knives, this guide will help you make an informed decision. But first, we need to know certain things about ceramic knives, such as its properties, pros and cons, and compare it with other materials.
What are Ceramic Knives?
As the name suggests, ceramic knives are made of hard and long-lasting ceramic material, zirconia or zirconium dioxide. Basically, dry-pressing zirconia powder is used to manufacture these knives and fired later. Then, the blade undergoes grinding process for sharpening with a grinding wheel coated with diamond dust. To give an insight to the toughness of ceramic knives, on the Moh’s scale of hardness, steel is ranked just 4.5, hardened steel ranks from 7.5 to 8, Zirconia is 8.5 and diamond stands the top at 10.
Pros of Ceramic Knives
There are different reasons you may want to prefer ceramic knives over others.
First of all, these knives are a lot harder and durable. Several models offer designer blades which underwent hot iso-static pressing to further improve the durability.
In addition, they are rust-proof and resist stains for longer period.
Ceramic knives stay sharper for longer time than metal knives. You rarely have to sharpen these knives. But there are chances that blade will chip, degrade, and compromise its sharpness. To sharpen these blades, you need specific services. But ceramic knives are sharp enough to slice vegetables, meat, bread, fruits etc. with more accuracy.
Even better, ceramic knives don’t transfer odors like steel knives. They are also easy to clean and lighter than metal knives.
Cons of Ceramic Knives
Before getting ready to order a set of ceramic knives after knowing all best things, please read on to know its cons.
First of all, ceramic blades are breakable if dropped on the floor and are likely to chip on a glass or marble cutting board. Never pry open a jar using ceramic knife as its tip may chip. Also don’t chop frozen foods and other hard items using ceramic knives.
But there are also some problems with metal knives. For example, steel knives retain and transfer odors from food to food and stain over time. They tend to rust and are chemically reactive. Chopping is difficult with metal knives. You also have to sharpen steel knives too frequently.
Now that you know the pros and cons of both steel and ceramic knives, it’s up to your needs and preferences to choose the best knife.
You Might Also Like To Check: 5 Best Ceramic Cookware Sets Reviews 2018
Ceramic knife is very easy to clean with hand wash. It is not recommended to toss it in the dishwasher. There are two reasons why ceramic knives are not dishwasher safe. First off, the sharpness of knife is affected with hot water. It is because its edge is made of thin metal strips with thin edge.
These fine strips should stay cooler and at room temperature to keep the blade sharp. The edges start to curl due to heat exposure and knife ends up with dull edge. So, it is advised to wash it in cold water.
The hard pressure of moving water is not safe for ceramic washer in the dishwasher. It is likely to snap or chip if it hits by any cutlery or dish.
You don’t have to sharpen ceramic blades more often than metal ones. Steel blades should be sharpened again and again to retain their cutting edge. On the other side, ceramic blades retain their sharpness for 10x longer.
Since ceramic blade is hard, it is not easy to re-sharpen it at your home and traditional materials are good for steel knives only. Even though you may not need regular sharpening of ceramic blade, the edge eventually loses its sharpness over time. So, it is recommended to look for specialized knife sharpening service. Choose a ceramic knife that you can return to the company so they would conduct professional sharpening of it.
Ceramic Knives vs. Steel Knives
There are several pros of ceramic knives over steel ones.
As discussed earlier, ceramic knives rank second in hardness after diamond. Hence, they retain the sharpness for longer period and you don’t have to re-sharpen them too often. To sharpen these knives, you will want to return them to the company. On the other side, you have to re-sharpen your steel knives which would be very costly in case of professional sharpening. You need to re-sharpen these knives too often.
Ceramic knives don’t retain odors and stain from the food sliced. All you need to rinse it off after chopping onions, garlic, or spicy peppers. Here are the key differences between ceramic and steel knives –
- Lightweight – Ceramic knives are lighter than steel and one can easily slice and chop off.
- Less Porous – Ceramic doesn’t retain odor. It means it transfers less bacteria and germs.
- Non-reactive – Ceramic blades don’t rust like metal knives.
But you cannot cut frozen foods or anything harder with ceramic knives. The blade is too thin to cut hard items or it may be chipped. The thin edge and tip may chip off if it is dropped to the hard floor. These knives come in different price ranges. The type of knife you pick depends upon your own needs. These knives are not as versatile as steel. They are just good to thinly slice veggies and fruits.
Ceramic Knives vs. Shun Knives
Japanese Shun knives are supposed to be the best knives as they are very sharp and handcrafted by skilled specialists and need up to 100 steps to finish. Stainless steel is used to manufacture these knives.
The knives we commonly use are made of softer steel, heavy and have thicker blade. So, it needs a lot of hard work to slice food. It dulls too frequently and needs a lot of maintenance.
On the other side, Japanese steel knives are lighter and made of harder, thinner steel, so the blade is also sharper and thinner.
Is Titanium the Best Material for Knives?
Titanium is considered not good for knives as it is soft and not as strong as other materials. It also lacks sharp edges. It is better to buy ceramic knives over titanium. Nevertheless, titanium doesn’t corrode and is lightweight. Thanks to recent advances, some titanium bladed knives have become even better. Titanium is longer lasting than other materials as they are rust-proof.
- Read Also I reviewed: Best Kitchen Knife Set Reviews For 2018
Top Ten Best Ceramic Knives Reviews 2018
It is not easy to define as which ceramic knife is the winner. It’s up to your own budget, needs, durability, and longevity. Here are our top picks as best ceramic knives for your kitchen –
1. Kyocera Advanced Ceramics (Revolution Series) 3-Piece Ceramic Knife Set
The set consists of 6” Chef’s knife, 3” paring knife, 5” micro serrated knife with black ABS handles as well as white zirconium oxide blades. The 6-inch knife is designed well to slice fruits, veggies, meat, and fish without bones. They are snug fit and are light and well balanced. These knives slice veggies with skins smoothly, such as tomatoes, cucumbers, and others. You may also like paring knives for trimming and peeling, such as removing delicate areas and potato eyes.
It is recommended to keep your knives on a drawer tray or in a block safely. These knives are not recommended to use on bones or frozen foods. Also don’t use it to open squash, coconuts, pumpkins or any fruit with hard shell. But the blade is razor sharp which retains its cutting edge for longer. These blades are 10 times sharper than carbon steel. You can re-sharpen your knives by sending to Kyocera by paying shipping charges.
- Advanced, ultra-sharp blades that last 10 times longer than steel
- Very versatile and are best used for chopping, dicing and slicing
- Made of strong material known for best quality
- Not good for hard food
- Blades may chip off when it falls on hard floor
2. DALSTRONG Ceramic Chef Knife with Infinity Blade
Ceramic knives from DALSTRONG are the best addition for both ordinary cooks and pro chefs. The blade has pointed tip rather than rounded one. It is two times sharper than common steel to slice evenly. One of the best parts of this knife is that it won’t transfer metallic taste and won’t cause browning on your food.
The blade stays free of chemicals and bacteria when slicing or cutting. It won’t absorb acids, oil, and salt. It is also easier to maintain as it is rust proof. Simply clean it up with a soft cloth and place it in a sheath.
- Its zirconium blade is two times sharper than stainless steel. It retains sharpness 15 times longer than steel and is ideal to slice food sharply.
- It has snug fit, comfortable handle and it won’t slip
- Non-porous, BPA-free and rust-proof knife which is also germ- and bacteria-free to avoid contamination
- It also has EdgeLast sharpener to keep it sharp.
- PerfectFit BPA-free sheath on the set.
- Not suitable to cut hard food items and bones as blade is likely to chip off
3. ZenWare 9-Pc Multicolor Cutlery Kitchen Ceramic Knives with Fruit Peeler
Designed to meet all your kitchen needs and to make food preparation a breeze, Zenware 9-piece multicolor Cutlery Kitchen Ceramic knife set includes everything you need to prepare healthy and delightful meals with ease. This quality kitchenware comes with 30-day money back guarantee.
Be the professional chef for your own kitchen and retain the pure, clean taste of your fruits and veggies with these ceramic knives. These knives stay ultra-sharp to slice your food clearly and retain the freshness of your food. It resists acidity in vegetables and fruits and it is completely rust-proof.
These ceramic kitchen knives are light, easy to clean, and long lasting. These knives are supposed to be the best choice to slice boneless meats, veggies, and fruits.
- Ultra sharp to slice foods with ease
- Retains sharpness for longer period
- Keeps food fresh by resisting acidity in veggies and fruits
- It doesn’t transfer odor to other food
- Design is not that good
- Peeler doesn’t make clean cuts when blade moves
4. MoiChef Premium 8-piece Ceramic Knife Set
This set contains four colored kitchen knives with four white sheaths. It has 3” paring knife, 5” utility knife, 4” fruit knife, and 6” chef’s knife. These knives come with separate sheaths for convenient and safe storage.
These blades retain great edge and are sharp. The blades are both sharp and versatile and they are best to chop, cube, or cut easily. These knives are also good to cut meat. The set includes light handles that fit snugly and are more comfortable even in chopping lots of food.
The design also cuts the risk of cross contamination. The blades also avoid metallic taste. These knives also resist germs and bacteria. Simply hand wash them after use.
- Sharp blades make accurate slices. You can also slice veggies, fruits, and boneless chicken.
- High quality ceramic blades that resist bacteria and avoid corrosion.
- Handles are light and snug fit. The color-coded handles keep you from choosing wrong knife for a particular task.
- Well-balanced knives and stable enough to make delicate cuts.
- Razor-sharp edges last longer
- Blades are very sharp. So be careful while cutting.
- You may not get bright colors
5. Chef Made Easy 9-piece Ceramic Knife Set
The 9-piece set of Chef Made Easy ceramic knives includes 6” chef’s knife, 5” slicer knife, 4” utility knife, 3” paring knife, sheaths and peeler. The knives are smooth enough to slice bread, boneless meat, fruits and veggies.
Made of zirconium oxide, a material that is as hard as diamonds, Chef Made Easy knives have razor sharp blades which last longer without sharpening. The handles of Chef Made Easy knives are snug fit with soft rubber coating as well as gripping dots so it won’t slip off.
- Razor sharp ceramic edges
- Stain resistant, germ-proof, bacteria and rust proof
- Won’t change the taste and color of food
- BPA-free sheaths provide added safety and coverage
- Blade quality is affected by cutting hard material
- Knives start dulling after few months
6. Ceramic Yuteea Kitchen 6-piece Knife Set with Holder Stand and Peeler
The ceramic knife set consists of four ceramic knives of varied sizes, i.e. 6” chef’s knife for dicing, cutting, and mincing, 5”utility knife for food preparation and slicing, 4” knife for cutting fruit, and 3” paring knife for paring vegetables and fruit. In addition, it includes comfortable knife stand and ceramic peeler.
All of these knives have protective plastic sheath. These knives are made of ABS material and ceramic. These ceramic knives are super hard with sharp and high density blade. You can stay assured without any reaction with food. It preserves original taste and color of food and retains food’s nutrition and freshness. But use it only for slicing/cutting fruits, vegetables, bread, and boneless meats.
- Razor sharp blades that are very durable and long-lasting
- Easy to handle, lightweight, and easy to clean knives
- Best for cutting boneless fish, meat, vegetables, and bread
- It doesn’t transfer foul smell, bacteria, toxins, and rust
- Not dishwasher safe
- Not shock or heat proof
- Not good for cutting hard food
- Use it with care and keep it away from children’s reach
7. WACOOL 3-piece Ceramic Knife Set
WACOOL ceramic knife set includes 6” ceramic knife, 4” paring knife and 5” utility knife with black handles. Each knife has a knife sheath. It has ruthlessly razor sharp blades to slice bread, vegetables, fruits, and boneless meat. These knives are ultra sharp which never absorb odors, acids, salts, and oils from food and are totally rust-proof. With well-engineered balance, these blades are solid enough to resist chemical leakage and are very light.
The knives are made of top quality zirconia and forced with cutting-edge CIP (Cold Isostatic Pressing) process before going through heating process. Hence, these blades are harder, sharper, stronger, lighter and elegant. The set includes three BPA-free PerfectFit sheaths for paring knife, chef’s knife, and utility knife. It is a great gift for wedding, birthday, and anniversary for your wife, husband, mom, dad, and everyone who loves to cook.
- Razor-sharp blades that last longer than steel
- Require less sharpening
- Made of top quality material for durability
- Not dishwasher safe
- Not good to cut bone and other harder material
8. Coiwin Kitchen Cutlery Ceramic Knife Set
Coiwin Kitchen Cutlery Ceramic Knife Set comes with sheaths for each knife. It includes rust-proof, stain resistant and super-sharp 6” bread knife, 6” chef knife, 4” fruit knife and 5”utility knife. These knives are as hard as diamond. You may rest assured that these knives are not prone to wear and are super sharp for slicing fruits, veggies, and boneless meats.
These knives are snug fit and lightweight with superior grip and arched handles. The blade is made of non-reactive zirconia to retain original smell, taste, and color and to maintain the nutrition and freshness of your good. These knives also don’t absorb any food acid. It is easy to rinse and wipe using your kitchen towel.
- Resists stains, acids and oils
- Bacteria-free and doesn’t transfer odor
- Ceramic knives are around half of weight of steel knives
- Sharp enough for slicing vegetables, fruits and boneless meats
- Not recommended to wash in dishwasher
- Not suitable to cut harder food items
9. SHAN ZU 8” Ceramic Knife with Black Zirconium Blade
SHAN ZU 8” ceramic knife is made of zirconium which is almost as harder as diamond. It comes with sheath gift box. This ceramic knife resists wear and it is known for hardness and high density. It is easy to clean, eco-friendly, and never corrode and rust. It keeps the growth of bacteria with its extra sharpness.
It is designed by considering the needs of large number of households. It has ergonomic wood handle which is good for daily use. To avoid contamination, SHAN ZU ceramic knife is designed to care for weak tummy of your baby as it avoids oxidation of vegetables and fruits. It never changes color and taste of food and keep it tasty and fresh. It is wear resistant because it is has undergone extremely high temperature and is completely rust-proof.
- Feels great while cutting fruits and vegetables
- Completely safe for your health as it avoids contamination
- Great gift for housewives and those who love cooking
- Not sharper than steel knives
- Handle starts loosening after a few months of regular use
10. TAKIUP 6-Piece Ceramic Knife Set with Peeler and Sheath Covers
The top quality knife set from TAKIUP includes 7” serrated bread knife, 6-inch chef’s knife, 4” utility knife, 5”slicing knife, peeler, and 3” paring knife. These ceramic knives are made of hard zirconium oxide, making it anti-fouling, antibacterial, safe, and non-corrosive.
These are eco-friendly knives that never rust thanks to ceramic coating which never contaminates food. You can also avoid cross-contamination thanks to its color-coded knives. These professionally-designed knives are designed well with comfort grip handles to ensure proper control in chopping.
- Safe for your health and extra durable with ceramic coating
- Avoid cross-contamination of food with color coding
- Resists corrosion and rust for longer period
- Not suitable to cut hard food
- Not dishwasher safe
With so many benefits over stainless steel counterparts, ceramic knives have been the first choice for modern kitchen. It makes food preparation faster, easier and safer than ever. If you’ve had problem deciding the best model, we hope this guide has helped you to choose the best ceramic knife set for your needs and preferences.