A sourdough starter is not required for this bread. If you do not have one, just double the amount of yeast. If you do have one, and are familiar with using it, you have a couple choices. This recipe is a slightly quicker format and uses a small amount of additional instant yeast with your starter. It works great. If you are familiar with sourdough baking, this works just as well if you use 100% starter, and a much longer sponge stage.
Sponge stage? This is a technique that can be used with any yeast bread recipe. Essentially you take an extra step to the mixing of your ingredients. The ‘sponge’ is all of your yeast, and sourdough starter in this case, with all the fluids and only half the flour, left to ferment for a couple hours or longer. It allows a nice fermentation step for better flavors and texture. The negative is that it lengthens an already long-ish process…we think it is worth it in some cases.
Sourdough cheese bread recipe
- Loaf pan
- 1 Cup warm water
- ½ Cup sourdough starter
- 1 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ Teaspoon dry instant yeast
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ Teaspoon kosher salt
- In a bowl mix;1 cup warm water, ½ cup sourdough starter, 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon dry instant yeastStir together and let rest in a warm spot for two hours.Add;1 cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Stir together to make a shaggy dough, then turn on to a well-floured board or counter. Dust your hands with flour and mix the dough.
- Then knead for 5 minutes until smooth and shape into a ball.
- Oil your bowl, place the dough in and then turn over so the top has a nice light oil coat.Let rise for 90 minutes, nearly doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and shape into a loaf. Place in a lightly oiled loaf pan, let rise for one hour until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350. Cut a deep slice down the center of the loaf.Brush the top very lightly with water and sprinkle about a tablespoon of shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, or the internal temperature is over 190 degrees. Remove from pan and let cool for ten minutes. Slice and serve!