Making Sweet & Sour Tofu
Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Small sauce pan
- ½ Container (19 oz) Regular tofu
- ¼ Cup Soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ Cup Apple juice
- 2 Tbsp Seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Clove garlic / 1 cube frozen Garlic crushed
- ½ Tsp Red pepper flakes. Optional
- 1 Tsp Cornstarch or flour
- 2 Heads baby bok choy, cut into bite-size pieces (about 2-2 ½ cups)
- ½ Each of one yellow, red, and orange bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Cups Broccoli florets
- 2 Stalks Green onion sliced
- Cut tofu into large pieces (such as triangle shapes, about a dozen pieces).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine soy sauce, juice, vinegar, honey, ketchup, garlic, and pepper flakes. Stir, bring sauce to a simmer, and reduce heat. Add cornstarch (dissolved in 1 Tbsp water) and stir until sauce thickens, about one minute. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add tofu and pan-fry until all sides are golden brown. Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
- In the same wok or skillet, over high heat, stir fry thicker white pieces of boy choy, bell pepper, and broccoli, adding 1-2 Tbsp of water to help vegetables cook easily. After 2 minutes, add leafy pieces of bok choy and green onion, stir frying for less than a minute. Add tofu and sauce. Stir to distribute sauce throughout evenly. Serve over white or brown rice.