Chicken Tortilla Soup
This warm, flavorful soup is sure to cure the common cold and the common soup. The best part is the contrast of fresh cilantro, fresh avocado, cheese, and crispy chips added at the last minute to this aromatic, spicy soup. It’s delicioso - make extra!
- 4 Boneless chicken thighs
- 3 Cups Low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Yellow onion, quartered
- 1 Tsp Ground cumin
- ¾ Cup Trader Joe's Chunky Salsa (or your favorite salsa)
- 2 Tbsp Lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- ¼ Cup Chopped fresh cilantro
- Handful of broken tortilla chips or strips
- ¼ Cup Fancy Shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- ¼ Ripe avocado diced
Combine water, broth, and onion in a pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken, salsa, and cumin; boil until the chicken is poached, about 10 minutes.
Remove large onion pieces and discard. Using two forks, coarsely shred chicken and return to pot.
Add lime and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove pot from heat and add cilantro.
Ladle soup into individual bowls. Add broken tortilla chips, cheese, and avocado chunks to each bowl. Serve immediately.
Here's a 5-minute video of Deana making this soup on "San Diego Living" TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtxwi9taA8 For a gluten-free soup, make sure you choose gluten-free chicken broth! Source From "Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's"